Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Felted Bags!!

I finished the felted Booga Bag for my husband's volleyball team last night. I made just under the wire as the team selection is tomorrow. Still a little damp and smells like wet wool, but it's done! I'll try and post a picture tonight.

In the spirit of my completed bag - I joined yet another swap! These are becoming addicting. It is the Fall Felted Bag Exchange. It looks like a great deal of fun and a way to meet even more crazy Knitters. So here's my questionnaire(I've also linked to this post on the side bar for easier reference)....
  1. How long have you been knitting or crocheting? How did you learn? or from whom?
    I have been knitting actively for about 2 yrs. I originally learned the basics from my Mom & my Aunt. When I picked it back up again – I began taking classes at our LYS.
  2. What was your first felted object, and why did you decide to try felting?
    My first was a purse – Booga Bag (unless you count that sweater that was accidentally felted). I wanted to progress past scarves and the sample bags in the LYS looked really fun.
  3. What are your favorite colors? Any you hate?
    I love color –pale, dark – doesn’t really matter. Jewel and earth tones are probably my favorite. My only big dislikes are neon or extraordinarily bright colors.
  4. What are your favorite styles\types of bags? (Long straps? Short handles? Handbags? Totes? Embellished? Plain? Include links to patterns or photos if you’d like – give your pal an idea of what you enjoy!)
    Handles – somewhere in the middle – I prefer to have my hands free, but I’m pretty petite (5’0) so I don’t like them too long because the bag bangs against my legs.
    I like embellishments, but nothing too over the top. I like classic patterns that I can use for awhile.
    Ideas:
    Noni: Prism, Sassy, Skinny & Tube Baguette, Felted Carpet, In the Sculpture Garden bags, Love the Eunny Floral Felted Bag , Nicky Epstein - Jacobean Floral Felted Bag, Jaynes AP Bag
  5. What handbag or bag are you carrying today? Do you use a separate bag to carry your knitting?
    I love bags so it changes constantly. I have a Vera Bradley Turquoise & Brown bag today (steal – brand new with the Tags for $20 at a garage sale!) and I alternate with a leather coach bag. I carry my knitting separate to work – in a tote I made or a lantern moon bag that I have. If I’m going out and about – I’ll just put my knitting (usually socks or a hat) in my purse.
  6. What other things do you enjoy knitting or crocheting?
    Love socks, sweaters, hats, baby things – just about anything as I try to expand my skills.
  7. What sort of needles do you enjoy working with? (straights vs circs, bamboo vs aluminum)
    As I’ve progressed, I really enjoy circs. Bamboo or Addi Turbos are my favorite.
  8. What’s one project you’ve not yet tried but are dying to make?
    That’s a hard one – I have a long list of “want to do’s”. I think the one I really want to try next is two socks on circular needles rather than DPNs. As far as bags are concerned, I’ve done the basics (many of the Black Sheep patterns, button hole bag, etc.) – I’d like to try something more involved – like the links noted in #4.
  9. What’s one yarn you’ve not yet tried but are dying to work with?
    I’d really like to try Bamboo or a blend with it.
  10. What other hobbies do you have? Do you spin? Sew? Garden?
    I like to quilt and read – some papercrafts (cards and the like).
  11. Besides yarn, do you collect anything?
    Yarn, fabric and books – I don’t have room for anything else. My DH already thinks my stash runneth over.
  12. What kind of goodies do you enjoy? Sweets? Salty? Anything you hate or are allergic to?
    I like hard candies (citrus and mint type things). I don’t like really sweet or sugary candies.
  13. Do you have any kiddos? (Furry kind count!)
    No, human ones as of yet. Furry - Yes, I have a beautiful English springer spaniel and a sometimes Saint Bernard (we frequently dog-sit for a friend).
  14. What kind of project best personifies you and why?
    Wow, that’s a tough one. I really like baby projects because I think it is fun to share something special with a friend as they bring a new little one into their life. Plus – b/c they are small I can often indulge in high quality soft fibers, that might be too pricey for a large project. I also like relatively quick knits because I like to see the progress. If a project doesn’t seem like it is progressing – I’m liable to jump in and then let if linger unfinished for years.
  15. What is your favorite part of Autumn? You can also share a special Autumn memory if you'd prefer!
    Autumn is my favoriet seaons. I love the changing of the leaves. We live in Western NY and I grew up in Upstate NY – so the changing of the seasons is really lovely. Plus - I love sweaters and jeans!!
  16. Tell us 3 things you would do if you won 10 million dollars in the lottery.
    Take care of my parents and my brothers (houses, cars, debt, etc).
    Start a family foundation in our grandparent’s names (DH & Mine)
    Get pregnant or adopt, stay home with my family and open a Quilt/Yarn Shop just for fun (what a lovely day dream)

No comments: