Sunday, March 16, 2008

On Point

I've had sew much fun this weekend. I took the Jelly Patch quilting class at Mt. Pleasant Quilting Company on Saturday. I was really intrigued by the class because it featured an on-point row setting with no on-point sewing, no setting triangles and no diagonal rows. Plus, I had a couple of jelly rolls marinating in my stash - what a marriage - interesting pattern and no fabric to buy.

100_3662

Hmm - how is this possible. Sew Simple - you create your 16 patch blocks in a normal strip piecing fashion - just faster because you don't have to cut any strips with a Moda Jelly Roll (in Celebrate Spring!). Then you sew on the right side and bottom sashing on each block and sew them into rows to create a 4x6 traditional block layout (it just looks a bit funny since you don't have the sashing on the top or left side. Then (this is the scary part - but no guts no glory) - you cut the quilt apart into three puzzle like pieces. The pattern has wonderful directions. Then you reorient the pieces and sew them together. Voila - you have an on-point center with no fussy setting! I just need to add borders and then I'll be ready to quilt it. A quick and easy throw sized quilt (53"x78").

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Fabulous! I have a jelly roll I may have to dig out. I have really missed quilting this year.

Dorothy said...

It's beautiful!