Sunday, August 16, 2009

Progress

I really am terrible about posting regularly, but I'm trying to find a life/work/home balance - which as many of you can imagine is challenging at times.

Though -I have been doing a bit of sewing and knitting, which makes me happy. We've spent the last few weeks adding some organizational fixtures to my sewing room. Primarily two big peg boards to hang my rules, scissors, thread, etc. and felt for a design wall. I love it all! It makes it so much easier to spend 1/2 hr or so sewing and not have to spend time hunting down everything.

As a result of the reorganized sewing room and a recent trip to the Quilt Odyssey in Hershey, PA - I've been doing a bit of sewing.

Binding for two quilts that recently returned from the machine quilter:
100_0524

100_0526

Crayon/Doodle Bag(s):
Free online pattern (http://www.edonyourown.com/crafts/ColoringBookCrayonTote.pdf). It's pretty easy and quick to do. I made a few modifications (used lightweight fusible interface to help give more structure, 1/8" seam on both sides of handles, attached handles in my normal fashion - nothing major). I found the perfect fabric grouping at Joann's - it's all crayon/coloring related. They were a perfect inexpensive alternative to my regular quilt fabric. Here is a picture of one:

100_0554 100_0555 100_0556

I've finished a few others as well. They are pretty cute and will make good b-day and x-mas gifts for my nephews and friends.

I've been working on the three classes that I took at the Quilt Odyssey. Fabulous!! Highly recommend it to anyone who likes to quilt regardless of your skill level. It's fun and you can always learn. Mom and I went from Wed to Sun and had a wonderful time together.

This quilt I've almost finished (it's about lap size) - I just need to add two more borders:
100_0552100_0553
The layout make it look like circles, but it's really just snowball blocks set around a 4 patch star. Pretty neat. The start was a bit of a pain (paper-piecing - not my favorite), but well worth the effort.

The other two classes are in progress. I have a preliminary photo of one:
100_0470
It looks much more complicated than it is. My favorite method... The teacher is coming out to teach a class locally next spring and I plan to try and sign-up if the date works. She's going to do a class on using her method to do a pineapple block (it has no triangles or set-in seams).

Knitting -
I've been doing a few small projects...

Dotty Hat from Itty Bitty Hats
100_0557100_0558

I fully lined the hat with no-pill fleece and it is really soft. I also made fleece lined mittens to match:
100_0559

Olive You from Itty Bitty Hats (ravelry link)
Anna was kind enough to model the hat (it's a gift - but I might just need to make her one), though I probably should have put on a clean bib. LOL
100_0562100_0560

I also started a sweater, but there's not much to look at yet. Hopefully, it won't take me so long to post pics of it. Enjoy the last few weeks of summer!

No comments: